Sunday, April 13, 2014

Flowers for Dinner

DSC_1248
DSC_1256
Spring has finally arrived and with it my desire for recipes which reverberate my love for the loveliest of all seasons, especially if they include flowers. I actually am the daughter of what you could call a herb whisperer. My mom is a real expert in the use and cooking of wild herbs and flowers (she wrote the book Erbe selvatiche dal Ticino alla Valle d'Aosta) and taught me how to recognize a couple of herbs, what's their healing property and how to intergrate them in my dishes.
 I used some of her teachings for a dinner's first course: a salad with fennel, mashrooms, dandelion (flower, stalk and leaf), primroses, speedwell and vetch flowers, the last four ingridients being picked by my mom and I on Mount Bré (Switzerland). I accurately washed the plants and vegetables (except for the mashrooms) and cut the vegetables and the dandelion's stalks into slices or tiny pieces. I then mixed the ingredients, added my favorite salad sauce (salt, pepper, dill, olive oil, apple vinegar, honey and mustard) and spread some more flowers on the top for decoration. Doesn't the salad look lovely in the picture above? Believe me, it's also very tasty! However, should you not like bitter, do not exaggerate with the dandelion's leaves and stalks: they are extremely healthy but quite bitter.
The second course was stuffed zucchini flowers. To prepare this dish, I stuffed the flowers with a fennel, parmigiano and egg musse, topped them with a slice of cheese and chilli threads and then baked them. My boyfriend absolutely loved them.
Let me know if you tried these recipes or if you have any suggestions for variations and additions!
I am now leaving for a run in the woods. Gotta soak up some sun!  Enjoy this enchanting spring too!

2 comments:

  1. At this delicious recipe, it would be perfect to add a pinch of black Kampot pepper. Spicy perfumes from Asia on this flowers..
    See more Kampot pepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vegan for your comment and suggestion! I did not even know about that type of pepper, so thank you for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Should there be any problems with the copyright of the pictures I posted, please send me an e-mail at giorgiavonn@gmail.com and I'll remove them as soon as possible, thank you.