Sunday, June 24, 2012

Interview with Tenebris, Young Swiss Fashion Jewlry Online Shop

Hey there!
Today, I am happy to present you the interview I have been making to Naïma, founder and owner of the label Tenebris and the homonymous online shop
I met her at a bloggers event and found her story absolutely inspiring and fascinating; so much that I asked her to leave an interview so as to share with you the experiences of this daring young woman and her jewlry business. 
Enjoy the interview and have a great Sunday!
 

Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 15.59.31
Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 15.59.06


GvNSB: What is Tenebris? What is the concept behind the lable? What kind of products does it offer and what type of woman wears them? 
T: Tenebris is the name of my new Swiss jewlry online store. The name comes from Latin and means "dark". I offer affordable fashion jewelry and I just started selling accessories too.  
My target group are 15 to 30 years old women. In my shop, I sell minimalist, clean, and urban pieces. Some other pieces are striking: provocative, ironic and witty. The integration of these features create an exciting harmonious but at the same time dissonant overall picture. Therefore, I would say that all products from my shop can be combined and worn together. What all the pieces have in common is that you have to understand their aesthetics in order to like them.

GvNSB: Tell us the story of the label: where does Tenebris come form? What made you build your own company and where did the inspiration come from? 
T: The idea to start as an independent with an online store has developed towards the end of my studies in psychology. Beside intellectual matters and questions I have always liked to dedicate myself to so called "superficial" and creative pursuits such as fashion and design. Moreover, I was frustrated with the jewelery offered in Switzerland (particularly the one sold online). Therefore, I decided to provide a new shop and sell jewlry myself.

GvNSB: What were the difficulties you found along your way? And what was the coolest thing about starting with you own online fashion business? 
T: The unpleasant things are having to deal with more tedious and laborious things such as VAT, packaging materials, insurance, taxes, etc. In the initial phase, I have even been accused to illegally import weapons, because customs officers thought that the rings I had ordered actually were brass knuckles - luckily, the whole thing was cleared up fast enough, and the rings are now used for training purposes by the police ;)! 
The coolest thing I could experience is realizing that I could build a label from scratch. A label consists of different building phases that shape it. Taking care of these phases and compose them with a coherent overall picture, which requires an integration of cognitive and creative skills, fullfills me.

GvNSB: Where can we find or buy Tenebris?
T: Right now, you can buy my jewelry and accessories online on Tenebris, and maybe my collections will be soon available in a boutique in Zurich.

GvNSB: What are your next projects and goals for the label? 
T: My next projects are: to expand the product line, to offer jewelery for men, and ship internationally. My goal is to ensure that Swiss people walk around with respectable and good-looking jewlry, and not only steel rings, tribal jewelry, eyebrow piercings, horns, beads and leather necklaces ;)

GvNSB: What would you like to say young people who want to start their own fashion company or open their own fashion shop?
T:   Be aware of the fact that autonomy means more work than a work as salaried.  
Start small, grow big: do not be naive; on the longer term, modesty brings you farer than hubris and arrogance. 
Remember that your business is your livelihood, and no self-service store. 
Give no money away that you have not earned yet.  
Let your environment help you and ask for support from it.
Beware of exploitative people. 
Luck has to do with willpower. Dare!




Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 16.23.10
Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 16.02.38
Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 17.57.26

Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 16.01.31


Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 17.57.44

Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-24 um 17.56.52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Should there be any problems with the copyright of the pictures I posted, please send me an e-mail at giorgiavonn@gmail.com and I'll remove them as soon as possible, thank you.